Olde Wythe Photo Galleries Stories and Memories Forum Add your history Facebook Contact Us Olde Wythe
wythe
History
CONTENT
a                   a
 

This is a meeting of the Newport News Shipbuilding Credit Union 'gals,' circa 1940. My mother (with hand-crocheted belt) and aunt are in the center. We believe this is in The White Oaks Lodge, now known as just "The Oaks." If you can verify this, please add your piece of this story on the forum section. The light fixture might be a clue. (Courtesy Jean Lankes)

The Chesapeake Ferry Co. started regular ferry service across Hampton Roads in 1912 when it brought this double-ended vessel from Jersey City, N.J. The ferry called the Warwick ran between a slip at the end of Manteo Avenue in today's Olde Wythe to Willoughby Spit on the Southside. Because the ferry often ran aground off Manteo Avenue, she was moved in 1914 to deeper waters of the Small Boat Harbor in Newport News. The Warwick was built in 1895 and had also been used as a Hudson River ferry. She was taken out of service in 1919. By 1957 when the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel opened, 10 ferries were in service moving 4.5 million passengers a year across Hampton Roads. ( Courtesy of Clarence Hunley)

This postcard depicts the new Wythe Shopping Center and Kecoughtan Court Apartments on Kecoughtan Road. The shopping center was a major asset to the Wythe area. The shopping center included a grocery store and movie theater. The Kecoughtan Court Apartments became home to many young couples just moving to the area. (Courtesy Tom Norris)

The Bank of Hampton Roads opened this branch office on the corner of Kecoughtan Road and Pocahontas Place in 1942. It featured one of the first drive-up teller windows in the area. The Wythe Theater, which opened on October 6, 1939, can be seen in the left of the picture. (Courtesy Maureen Webb.)

Pictured is a Citizens Rapid Transit bus from 1955. They were painted in distinctive red and white colors, and most of them had Mack diesel engines. Buses carried people from Wythe to jobs, doctor's appointments, shopping, and holidays at Buckroe Beach. Students from Junior and High School also rode the busses to and from school. (Courtesy C.E. and Charlotte Pratt Johnson.)

War Memorial Stadium is primarily used for minor league baseball since it open in 1947. The stadium was designed by the legendary Branch Rickey for the minor league team for the Brooklyn Dodgers. Today it is the home park to the Peninsula Pilots of the summer Coastal Plain League.

Bill’s BBQ a local icon, was located at the corner of Kecoughtan Road near Pennsylvania Avenue in the heart of Wythe. It was a favorite eatery of many. The close proximity to George Wythe Junior High, coupled with great food, made it a natural teenage hangout. Opening in the 1930s, it was one of the first restaurants featuring curb service. (Courtesy of M. Vick)

There have been a number of eateries where the Oasis Restaurant now sits at 3508 Kecoughtan Road. This montage shows the 1948 Annual Smoker at Terry’s Supper Club (a private men’s club), as well as an early frequent-patron meal card in five-cent increments. The Oasis is still a very popular family restaurant in Wythe. (Courtesy Nick Sorokos.)

Merrimac Motors was located on the corners of LaSalle Avenue and Kecoughtan Road. The site is now home to a chain drug store. This unique building showcased the newest automobiles from 1947 though the 1980’s. Cornelius 'Neal' Tucker Carwile Sr. was the long time owner of the dealership. Neil, as eveyone knew him by and his staff gave hundreds of Wythe residents integrity, friendliness, and old-school reliability in selling and servicing cars. (Courtesy Cornelius 'Corey' Tucker Carwile III,)

That’s Benjamin “Puggy” Smith in the middle of the photo, hanging out at the Wythe Pharmacy with a group of his friends. The night this photo was taken in the mid 1940’s. The boys were enjoying a five cent glass of Coca Cola before heading out to pick up their girl friends for a date night. (Courtesy of Benjamin Smith Jr.)

This post card shows off the new Dixie Hospital located on Victoria Avenue in Wythe. The hospital moved from downtown Hampton in 1954. In 2002 the hospital relocated to a new building in Hampton and this location was turned over to the city school system for use as a new school site. The back of the post card reads” The Dixie Hospital in Hampton, Virginia is one of the newest and most modern hospitals in the South today”. (Courtesy of Shirley Sue and Jimmy Wallace)

The Bay Bank was one of hotels that opened along the Boulevard to take advantage of tourists coming to the area. The back of the post card reads as follows. “Bay Bank is most beautifully situated on the Boulevard, between the cities of Hampton and Newport News. House 20 feet from water. Large sunny rooms. Hot water heat and open fire places. Electric lights. Fine library and sun parlor. Delightful home atmosphere. Table unsurpassed. An abundantance of Jersey cream, fresh eggs and vegebles produce on the place. Electric cars pass the grounds. House open year round. Boating, bathing, fishing, golf and tennis.”

These post cards from the 1900’s show off the Boulevard Inn, once located at the end of La Salle Avenue on the waterfront. The building was originally built in 1898 as the De LaSalle Institute, a Catholic school for boys. When the school closed in 1904, the building became the Boulevard Inn, a boarding house/hotel. During World War II it was used to house families of servicemen. For its last 50 years it was known as the Boulevard Apartments. The photos above shows off the buildings stately profile, bay windows, Mansard roof, picket-fence porch railings and rustic, nautical exterior made it a unique landmark of the area. It was torn down in 1987.

Dr. Joseph Buxton opened Buxton Hospital in 1906 on the Boulevard at Cypress Avenue, with 15 beds, growing to 100 by 1930. A nursing school was added in 1907. In that year a week's private hospital room cost $12. In 1927, its address changed to Buxton Avenue, Newport News. In 1953, it became Mary Immaculate Hospital and was reconstructed as Riverside Rehabilitation Center in 1980. (Courtesy W. E. Rouse Library.)

In 1909, a group of residents decided that a fire company was needed and organized the Wythe Fire Company. A fire station was erected on the west side of Kecoughtan Road and Claremont Avenue. In 1923, the Wythe Company and the Riverview Company (another fire company located within the Wythe district) merged under the name of the Wythe District Fire Department, with the combined headquarters being the station on Claremont Avenue and Kecoughtan Road. In 1932 the department outgrew its quarters, so the old Hopper-Hardy Garage, adjacent to the George Wythe School, was purchased and remodeled. Pictured is a group photo of the fire company from the early 1940s. (Courtesy Wythe Fire Station.)

Anne Wythe Hall, at Bay Avenue and Lombard Street, was a World War II temporary federal housing complex for female government workers. The Catholic Church owned the land and bought several of the buildings after the war to start the new parish of St Rose of Lima. This building became the parish's first school, opened in 1949. (Courtesy Mary Caroline Boerner.)

A major blow to trolley service came when the Storm of August 23, 1933 came onshore and destroyed the Boulevard (now Chesapeake Avenue) trolley line. This line connected the lower section of Newport News Hampton with the Hampton main line by way of LaSalle Avenue. The Boulevard line was never rebuilt; instead bus service took its place. (Courtesy Barbara Granger.)

Robinson Creek froze over in 1940, a rare event. The Wythe Volunteer Fire Department flooded the brackish ice with fresh water for the safety of the inevitable skaters. This photo was taken from Tom Robinson's house at 2204 Chesapeake Ave. Note the billboard for newly opened "restricted" lots on Wythe Crescent. (Courtesy Charles and Elizabeth Zimmerman.)

Hurricane Isabel, on September 18, 2003, was the most damaging hurricane since 1933. It destroyed the 170-foot pier at 2308 Chesapeake Avenue, along with every other pier along the Wythe shoreline. The storm surge lifted 200-pound boulders from seawalls and deposited them 75 feet inland. Chesapeake Avenue in front of Riverside Rehabilitation Center was closed for over a year. (Courtesy Mike McHenry.)

Indian River Park was one of the first planned neighborhoods in the area, located half way between the cities of Hampton and Newport News now within the Olde Wythe section of Hampton. These arial photos show the changes in Indian River Park starting in 1919 to 1924 to the 1970’s.

As a child growing up on Raleigh Avenue in Wythe, Jack Boerner was always doing something. One of his favorite activities was to take his boat out to fish on Indian River Creek. Jack built his dock off of Kecoughtan Road between O’Canoe Place and Manteo Road. These photos taken by Jack with his Kodak “Brownie” showed off his dock and boat in the early 1940’s. ( Courtesy of Jack Boerner)

This picture is from a 2nd grade outing to Robinson Park and the park house as it was called. Pictured are Debbie Wiggs (who was included because her mother chaperoned and took the picture), Betty Vaughan Yeapanis, Robert Whitmire, and unidentified boy. Betty says “We walked out the back of Wythe Elementary School, past the fire station and Bill’s BBQ, and on down Kecoughtan Road to the park in a sloppy single-file line.” (Courtesy of Betty Vaughan Yeapanis)

The 1907 Jamestown Exposition attracted worldwide attention to Hampton Roads. On December 16, President Theodore Roosevelt dispatched a fleet of 16 new battleships, painted white with gold scrollwork, on an around-the-world voyage lasting 14 months. The Great White Fleet, as it was later called, is seen here on one of the many post cards that recorded the event.

Before and After. The above photo on the left taken in 1933 is of the Boulevard entrance into Indian River Park. The developers of Indian River Park wanted to make a bold statement at the entrance to the subdivision. Entrance lodges were built on either side of the wooden bridge that spanned Indian River at Powhatan Parkway, which connected the Boulevard (now Chesapeake Avenue) to Kecoughtan Road. The lodges also served as trolley stops for the line that connected Hampton and Newport News, where a 5-cent fare was all it took to go to either city from this point. The photo on the right is of the current bridge, constructed in 1997, and is a replica of the previous 80-year old bridge. It is a unique timber construction with cobblestone-style pavers and steel railings. (Courtesy Daily Press Archives/.and Sean and Debbie Hancock )

This fishing camp was located at what was called Mosquito Beach, it was located on the shoreline of the Hampton Roads Harbor in the 2200 block of Chesapeake Avenue. The camp was active until the mid 1950’s when the property was divided into lots for homes. The boat shown in photograph, called a Fox Hill boat, was used to set out fishing nets. The tall poles were for drying and repairing the nets. One of the owners of the camp was Edward Taylor Lewis, a lifelong Fox Hill resident. He always wanted to look his best, so he would wear a suit and tie to work and change into his work clothes at the camp. He changed back into his suit before going home after work. He is pictured with a very big rock fish cought in the harbor. Sometimes Mr. Lewis and other fishermen would spend the night at the camp. Also in this photo you can make out the oyster grounds’ watch house. It’s the darker place on the water between the first two long skyward poles. It was located 3/4 mile offshore in front of the Buxton/Mary Immaculate Hospital. The watch house was first built in 1910 and was used as a shelter for watchman on lookout for poachers raiding the oyster beds.

Back in the 1940’s Robinson Park had playground equipment to entertain the children of the area, including this see saw, swings, and a sliding board. Here, in 1949, Benjamin “Puggy “ Smith and Barbara Sims, his future wife, were horsing around on a nice spring day. (Courtesy of Benjamin Smith Jr.)

The street we now call Victoria Boulevard has seen many changes over the last 100 or so years. Besides a name change from Electric Avenue to Victoria Boulevard, the roads changed from a small dirt path to a main trolley line linking the two cities of Newport News and Hampton, to what we have today. This page from the scrap book of Shirley Sue (Smith) Wallace shows the Smith family home at 812 Electric Avenue in the 1930’s. In the bottom left photo you can see the family pony standing in the middle of Electric Avenue (Courtesy of Shirley Sue and Jimmy Wallace)

The shore line along Chesapeake Avenue has seen many changes over the centuries, from a sandy beach to what we have now with rip rap piled high to keep erosion at bay. Many people believe what caused the beach to slowly disappear was due to a combination of the hundreds of war ships that passed our shore during both World Wars and the construction of the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel in 1957. Pictured in these photos taken in 1945, looking east near Manteo Avenue, are Shirley Sue Smith and her friend Ruth. (Courtesy of Shirley Sue and Jimmy Wallace)

Miss Spencer's 3rd grade class at Wythe Elementary, during the class field day June 1966 in Robinson Park. It was noted that all the little boys in the class were in love with their teacher and from these photos you can see why. (Courtesy Jeanie Lankes)

The Tudor-style house at the corner of Chesapeake Avenue and Cherokee Road was once a private school known as Miss Porter's School with grades K thru 6. Here is a photo card showing the kindergarten class of 59-60. (Courtesy Jean Lankes)

George Wythe School was built in 1909 to serve the burgeoning population of Wythe. It stood where the swimming pool at Claremont Avenue is today. This photograph is from 1912. Other local schools were Salters Creek (white), Salters Creek and Bates (black), with the high school (white) in Hampton proper. (Courtesy Jackie Potter.)

Armstrong School opened in 1922 with nine classrooms and teachers, plus a cafeteria run by the parents' organization. It was built on land donated by the Armstrong Land and Improvement Company to accommodate the growing population of the eastern end of Wythe. In this photo c. 1924, Jessie Crockett is ninth from the left in the third row. (Courtesy Jessie Crockett Hopkins.)

The current George Wythe Elementary School, on Claremont Avenue, was built as the George Wythe Junior High School. Twin entrances are ornately decorated each with an owl (the school mascot) and the motto "Enter To Learn, Leave To Serve." This c. 1937 photo shows both it and the first Wythe School. Subsequently the old building was torn down, and the junior high moved to new quarters on Catalpa Avenue. (Courtesy Library of Virginia.)

The Indian River Park School at 115 Harbor Drive held dress-up pageants in June each year. This 1937 photo shows top: Rita Fiori, Barbara Bottom, Phoebe Coe, Vincent Fiori (Uncle Sam), John Brown, Joe Healy, Dorothy Bottom, and Donald Russell; middle: Ray Bottom and Gretchen White; bottom: Jeanne Hootman, Barbara White, Peggy Crowley, Charles and John Llewellyn, and Elizabeth White. (Courtesy Raymond Bottom.)

Greenbriar Elementary School was built for African American children who lived near Shell Road in 1930. The school was accessed by a semi-circular drive leading to the handsome one-story brick building facing Maryland Avenue next to Shell Road. Greenbriar received part of its financing from the Rosenwald Fund, which had been created in 1917 to encourage the building of rural southern schools for blacks. Greenbriar was publicly honored on November 21, 1930 as the 5,000th Rosenwald School constructed. Miss Kate Truhart served as the school’s principal from 1950 until its closing in 1970.

This Wythe Owl patch from the George Wythe Junior High was given to students who excelled in academics and who participated in school activies. This Owl belongs to Shirley Sue Smith and was given to her in 1942 for her participation as the band majorette. Shirly Sue sewed her patch on a blazer she wore, but other students placed theirs on sweaters and coats. (Courtesy of Shirley Sue and Jimmy Wallace)

These few pages came from the 65 page Wythe Owl year book of 1947. This year, the Wythe Owl was dedicated to Samuel Kerr the Dean of Boys and the Director of Industrial Arts. The dedication goes on to read …”Appreciation of his untiring efforts in reviving the Wythe Owl, for his loyalty and devotion to the welfare of our school….” (Courtesy Anne Mallsion Hooker Clark)

The Patron's League of the George Wythe School was a forerunner to today's PTA. Like the PTA's of today this group of mem and women were involded in the school. they helped with landscaping and provided items for the school though fund raising events. One of the items they raised money for was auditorium curtains as reported by the local paper. This meeting photos was taken in 1913 in the Assembly Hall at the school. (Courtesy Bill Tennis)

Wythe Presbyterian Church started in 1921 as an outpost Sunday School of the First Presbyterian Church of Newport News. Chartered in November, 1940, with 25 members, it used streetcars to accommodate initial growth. In 1949, services began at the Kecoughtan Road site. In 1964, 200 members were lost when the NASA space control mission moved to Houston. (Courtesy Wythe Presbyterian Church.)

Aldersgate United Methodist Church, originally St John's Methodist Episcopal, changed its name in 1938 to avoid confusion with St. John's Episcopal Church of Hampton. The first service was in 1937 in the tiny Cottonwood Avenue chapel. In 1940 they moved to Wythe Parkway and Kecoughtan Road. This 1959 picture shows the ground breaking ceremony for an addition. (Courtesy Aldersgate United Methodist Church.)

Temple B'nai Israel relocated from downtown Hampton to the corner of Kecoughtan and Allegheny Roads in 1958. Pictured is the parade of the Torahs into the new sanctuary, led by Rabbi Marvis, followed by Herbie Goldstein, a prominent local business man who lived on Hampton Roads Avenue. The girl in the background holding the Ten Commandments is Susan Sadler, writer of the 1980 movie, Crossing Delaney. (Courtesy Temple B'nai Israel.)

 
a
     
         
a
timeline
Early History 1800s-1890s 1900s-1930s 1940s-1980s 1990s-Today
footer